Friday 31 May 2013

Granddad's birthday!

Today was my dads birthday - his first as a grandad! He absolutely loves max and was a bit miffed that we hadn't been to his at dinner to see him!

We've had a busy day today - max has finally got into a bit of a routine! He's always wanting to do something - whether it be bouncing or looking round, as long as he's getting attention! He's never just sat still in a chair or slept all day, since he was born. Everyone says its because I'm so soft with him but I enjoy singing to him and playing with him and I think he's been getting a bit overstimulated and then struggles to sleep for a long time in the day, let alone at night! So for the past couple of days I've been trying to follow a routine of feeding, playing and singing and then sleeping, roughly every three hours, and today we really saw the benefit as Max was far calmer and happier :) 


I also managed to get things done around the house and even found time to bake some cakes for my dad. 

I love baking, especially cupcakes, and my last trip to hobbycraft resulted in the purchase of a cupcake corer. It's a little device that cores and holds a section of your cupcake, so that you can fill it and then replace the cake - resulting in yummy filled cakes. I made two different types of cupcake today, an incredibly sickly chocolate cupcake, filled and topped with chocolate frosting and sprinkles and a sponge cupcake filled with jam and topped with icing and hundreds of thousands! They were lovely and went down a treat! The only trouble is, I end up eating half the ingredients as I make them! (Actually gaining weight now, instead of losing baby weight!)

I also baked a baggin cake for my dad. It's his favourite and the recipe has been passed down to me from my mum. I decided to share it, so you can all relish in the moist, fruity yumminess! 

Ingredients
8oz self raising flour
4oz caster sugar
4oz margarine 
4oz mixed fruit
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 small cup containing 1 egg and topped with water

Method
• Preheat the oven to 190*C
• Mix all the ingredients together with a hand whisk
• Grease and line a loaf tin
• Pour the mixture into the tin
• Bake for 1 hour 15 mins

And there you have it... Yummy baggin cake!

Dad was happy with it, even though he got a yummy flake cake too! 


I'm absolutely shattered now. Unfortunately, all the excitement at mum and dads meant we really struggled getting max to sleep as he was overtired and grouchy. Finally got him down though, and hubby's just offered me a back rub so I'm off!!! Night all xx


No comments:

Post a Comment